Sunday, April 5, 2009

What a memorable day!

This is the first of three videos I took today. Our good friends Jen and Scott Huff hosted our Fredericksburg Area Mothers of Multiples Easter Party. Scott and another private pilot graciously gave our children rides in their airplanes. Scott and Rich are pilots for a national (?) program called Young Eagles and they awarded certificates and wings to those children who were ages 8-17.

In order to fit all of our children in over the course of the afternoon the pilots asked that the adults stay on the ground or wait until the end. If there was enough time they could go with their children after all the others had gone. Tracy and I opted to let ours go without me, not knowing if there would be enough time at the end. We also felt that it wasn't in our hands anyway. These men are very accomplished pilots and God would be carrying the plane so all would be well.

Before we closed the door, I covered my children and Mr. Richard in prayer then shouted, "Have fun!". If only Tracy could have been there, sweetie, you would have loved the excitement and sense of adventure in their eyes. Mason planned initially to scope out the Easter eggs that had been hidden on the ground near the hangar. He said that he'd get a good idea where they were. Madison and Mason had to do rock, paper, scissors for the front seat (per the ground crew man) and Madison won. Emma Grace was just taking it all in, not saying much but ready for what the ride held.

This was a memory that I think they will keep forever. My deepest gratitude to Scott, Jen, Rich, his wife, and the other gentleman who helped. My children and I had a grand time. I'm sure I'll catch it from some of the family but oh well. They're God's children, only ours but just for a short while. I want them to enjoy and experience life to the fullest.

I thought of this experience this way: Tracy and I have put so many children up in fire trucks to sit and look at the trucks. It's only just that though; to sit and look. Can you imagine what they'd do if he said, "Ok, today we're going for a ride"? Same goes for today. Let the kids sit and look at the plane but then tell them that we're not just going to look, we're also going to fly! That's just mindboggling. I can't imagine if at that age someone had told me that they'd take me for a ride in an airplane! That was just sooooooo out of reach for me, us, as a family. (Thanks Steve for that ride in that little hop so many years ago. I thought of you today. :)

Today we are blessed to have great friends like Jen and Scott who made that happen for our children. I took that opportunity to make a memory for our little ones. Thanks you guys. You are beautiful people.

No comments: